On beginnings

Quick editorial note: I'm going to continue to share Quote of the Day (QOTD) entries, as I like the small zing of thoughtfulness they add to the blog. I am going to drop the "QOTD #" naming convention from the title, however, as I suspect the static title makes things look a little more formal than I'd like. Please let me know what you think. Onward...



As I ponder the meaning of my finishing up one year on the planet and beginning another (yesterday was my birthday...my wife outed me here...Facebook did so here), I find myself reflecting on the preciousness of time. I spent a good chunk of the day simply spending time with my wife, with our kids, with our friends. We ran errands, had a BBQ for dinner, sat around and talked. The phone rang regularly with calls from folks near and far, and my BlackBerry chirped with a similar flow of messaging and social media-borne goodness. I was thankful to be in the middle of it all, that I was able to have a day like this, that I had, and have, a life filled with more than I feel I truly deserve.



Every so often, I'd stop myself in the middle of whatever I was doing, and I just listened. To the kids playing with their friends in the house, to my wife chatting with her mom on the phone, to the dog having a playdate with his buddy. I tried to record not just the sounds, but the feeling of the sounds, the warmth with which they filled the space, and my head. It was a very comforting thing to do.



It was just the kind of day that reminds me why life is fundamentally good, why I need to learn in the coming year to capture the richness of it all just a little bit better.

"Live each day as if your life had just begun." Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
And so I shall. Will you?

Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free