Deep blue not-quite-ocean


Waves of reflection
London, ON, June 2009
About this photo: Thematic Photographic. Summer. Right here.
There's a certain hypnotic quality to watching waves, close-up, in a swimming pool. I first noticed this when I was a lifeguard way too many years ago. When things got quiet, I'd sit on the deck and just watch the shifting surface of the water. As my interest in photography deepened, I found the abstract, always-changing patterns to be great subjects for my lens. (Additional bonus: Water doesn't talk back.)

These days, I realize I haven't changed a whole lot from my younger, curly-sun-bleached-haired self. I still find myself looking down at the waves and I still wonder about the forces that create magically new compositions from one second to the next. If only more of us took the time to drink it in.

Your turn: What is it about waves that attracts and captivates us so?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free