Shattered ground


Impending doom
Laval, QC, August 2009
Please note: This photo winds down our black & white* week. Click here if you've got any last-minute sharing to do. We launch our new Thematic theme, candid, tonight at 7:00 Eastern. Check back then!
The roads in and around Montreal, Quebec, Canada are subject to some very serious environmental challenges, which largely explains why you need springs under your car seat to survive pothole season. I grew up there, and when we moved away to a warmer place on the planet, my kidneys thanked me.

Freeze-thaw cycles are deadly to roads in this region, because water seeps in, then freezes and expands. As the processes repeats before, during and following winter, the pavement literally crumbles or shatters. If it isn't developing suspension-jarring potholes, it's cracking in spectacular - and potentially dangerous - form.

But when I'm not driving on it, I'm taking pictures of it. Because even something so destructive can have a redeeming quality or two.

Your turn: How do you find the positive in the negative?

--
* I think we all had a lot of fun with the black & white theme. I'm open to a sepia-themed week if you're all game. Let me know and I'll make it so. Either way, new Thematic launches tonight at 7:00 p.m. Eastern. Thanks!
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free