A particular shade of yellowish


Touch the resonant sky
London, ON, July 2010
About this Photo: We're sharing our favorite photos of the year as part of a special, extended Thematic Photographic. I won't use the word "extravaganza", you I think you know I really want to. Anyway, please click here to share your own fave pics from the past 12 months. Extra points if you bring a friend.
It's a warm summer's night, and after I walk the dog, I notice the sky is glowing that unique golden hue that suggests something cool is going on overhead. I grab the camera and half-jog my way to the park so I can have an unobstructed view.

I'm not disappointed. While I can't explain the meteorological machinations that are driving tonight's show, I can certainly stand there, alone in a field, and silently mouth "wow" to myself as the clouds continue to shift. As I walk over to a nearby building to use as a brace in the fast-fading light, two teenaged girls stroll past, looking suspiciously at the guy carrying the chunky camera. Once they're sure I'm not an axe murderer, their eyes return to their smartphones as they continue half-chatting, half-texting with friends unseen.

Eventually, the sun slips below the horizon and the yellow fades to deep blue. I walk slowly home, wondering why more folks around us don't pull their faces away from their screens just long enough to witness the magic all around them.

Your turn: What do we miss by being so wired? Or wireless?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free