No coffee for you


Must be a tea drinker
Toronto, ON, December 2009


I deliberately avoid congested downtown streets for a number of reasons: Namely, I don't live or work near one, I get hives when I'm surrounded by too many people (yes, I'm antisocial that way) and the noise and icky air tend to darken my mood. But every once in a while, the regular demands of life dictate a trip to the very epicenter of urbanity, and when I do, I figure a camera is a worthwhile thing to have in my hand.

As often happens when I'm out of my natural element, I bump into moments worth recording. I almost stopped myself from grabbing this one because, as a general rule, I don't shoot strangers. I don't want to worry about potentially ticking them off, or worse, having them chase me down the street because I caught them doing something they really shouldn't have been doing. People are messy. Animals and inanimate objects are so much easier.

Still, this little moment of drama struck me as too rich to pass up. I felt kinda sorry for the poor guy trying to make a living delivering coffee supplies to nearby businesses. I also felt kinda sorry for this officer whose daily responsibility encompasses delivering one slip of misery after another to complete strangers.

I wonder if the subject of my photo unwound with a cup of java when he got off shift.

Your turn: I haven't done a Caption This in a while (hmm...) but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for this pic.

One more thing: I wrote this while sitting on the large rock under the maple tree on my front lawn. It's 9:21 p.m., and as the last of the day's light ebbs out of the now-darkened sky, I swear every last neighbor who's walked or driven past while I've been tapping away in the glow of my netbook thinks I'm certifiably insane. I guess my being-different gene remains active.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free