Field of weedy dreams


No-spray zone
London, ON, May 2009


As we continue to explore this week's Thematic Photographic theme, spring has sprung (click here to share yours), it occurs to me that not all explosions of new post-winter life are welcome explosions. I've never really understood society's general aversion to dandelions, however. We call them weeds, for some odd reason, and in many jurisdictions we blast them into oblivion with noxious spraying that'll give our grandchildren extra limbs that come in especially handy at the grocery store.

But not in mine, as London now has a bylaw that bans most lawn chemicals. Which means scenes like this are pretty damn common these days. And as much as most folks around me whine incessantly about the fact that "the perfect lawn" is now but a memory, I can't help but stand before a limitlessly yellow field like this and think nature's managed to figure out what isn't welcome and what is.

Perfection's overrated, in my book.

Your turn: What's a weed, anyway? And who decides? And who elects those who decide?

One more thing: New TP theme launches Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. I'm still on the fence as to what that theme should be. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free