Forget the Oscars...the Impala's the thing


Red hoodie
Delray Beach, FL, December 2010
Click all photos to enlarge
About this photo: We're sharing letters this week as part of our latest Thematic theme. You can get involved, too, by following your mouse this way.
The scene: My wife had taken the kids into the pharmacy to get the stuff kids always need when they're on vacation. For reasons that still make no sense to me, I lagged beyond for a few minutes so I could take pictures in the darkened parking lot. In retrospect, it may not have been the smartest move, but at the time it seemed like a good call.

And why was I shooting alone in a nearly deserted South Florida parking lot that was barely lit by the fluorescent light spilling out of the adjacent pharmacy? Because I somehow got it into my head that I could make our rental car - a bright red Chevrolet Impala that anyone's fedora-wearing grandpa would have been proud to own and drive - look sexy. I've done this before - indeed, the first Thematic ever featured a Toyota Yaris - and I wanted to give it a shot here, too. I'm ridiculous that way.

I grabbed a few reflective snaps before I packed the camera away and rejoined my brood inside the Walgreens. Where I promptly cracked the camera back out and resumed shooting. But that's a story for another day.

Your turn: How do you make the ordinary - in photography as well as in life - seem extraordinary?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free