Is it bulletproof?


Canada's national sport
London, ON, December 2010
[Click here for more letter-themed goodness. It won't hurt. Promise.]

If you're a sports fan, today's a big day, as the National Hockey League draft deadline is today. So I thought I'd mark the occasion with this snippet from London's John Labatt Centre. Because I'm Canadian. And I'm pretty sure hockey fandom is baked into my DNA.

As we took our seats in this showpiece of a facility, the NHL logo stood out in my mind because the closest NHL teams play two hours away. It's nice to know our minor-league London Knights merit NHL-approved glass, even if they "only" play in the Ontario Hockey League.

Memo to folks in Toronto who pay a week's salary to watch their team extend their 40-plus-year losing streak by another game: You'd have a lot more fun here. There's just something about teenagers and early-twentysomethings building a future in the sport that they love that resonates more deeply than millionaire free agents. I'm thankful to live in a place where the love of the game still means something.

Your turn: Do you love a sport? Any sport? Why? Why not?

One more thing: I know that Canada's official national sport is actually lacrosse. But that's on paper. Deep in our souls, it's hockey.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free