Valentine's Day sucks. If you let it.

Pardon the link bait-ish headline. I have a rocky relationship with modern holidays designed to sell stuff, and this one's no different.



Be that as it may, it's never a bad thing when folks take the time to let each other know how they feel. We all need to feel loved and connected. It is, after all, a key ingredient of feeling whole.



As I tap away with my thumbs while getting ready for work, I can hear the house filling with V-day references. Even the dog is getting extra love. It's a smiley day, and heaven knows we all need as many of these as we can possibly get.



The sad thing about holidays like today is they are but one day. They're over so quickly that it's easy to lose the script until another year passes. We build up to this unsustainable moment. Then it's done. And so many of us forget the in-between, the other 364 days of the year when a kind word or paused moment would also make such a difference to those around us.



So, here's what I'm going to do. Today, I'll share the joy with the most important people in my life. Tomorrow morning, I'll do it again. And the next day. And the next and beyond. I won't wait until next February 14th to let them know how much they mean to me. I hope you won't wait, either.



Your turn: Thoughts?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free