Not quite the highway to hell


Take this exit
Highway 401 near Woodstock, Ontario, December 2009
[Click all photos to enlarge.]

Quick housekeeping: If you've found this site by way of Google's Blog of Note, welcome! Here at Written Inc., we do a weekly photo sharing activity called Thematic Photographic. The premise is simple. 1) I post a new theme. 2) Folks post their own photo on their blogs. 3) Participants come back here to post a link to their entry. By visiting other participants, so the theory goes, we expand our view of the world - and get to know some pretty neat people a little better.

Last week's theme was "transportation", and you can find it here. You are, of course, welcome to dive right in and have fun with it. That is, after all, why we do stuff like this here. I hope you enjoy the ride. I'll post a new theme tomorrow (Friday morning). [End housekeeping]


I don't often find myself sitting in the passenger seat. I've written previously about my near-pathological need to be at the wheel, so I'll spare you a repeat here. On the relatively few occasions when I'm riding shotgun - usually during a long drive back to visit the homeland-dwelling extended family - I try to divert my attention by playing with my camera. At least until the motion-induced nausea sets in.

So on this bright, sunny day, we found ourselves headed back to Montreal. The 401 is the busiest highway in North America, and it cuts through some of the loveliest country imaginable. Sadly, highways like this don't encourage sightseeing. As great as they are at turning time into distance, they just don't provide the same engaging driving experience you'd get on a smaller regional road. Worse, photography at 120 km/h (shhh, my wife speeds) is more miss than hit. If you end up with one or two decent captures from the entire shoot, consider it a good day.

I'm thinking today was a good day. I hope you enjoy the view.

Your turn: Tell us about a memorable road trip. What made it memorable in the first place?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free