Big in Japan


Backlit
London, ON, October 2006

Like many of you, I've been watching the news from Japan with a growing sense of dread. Bad enough the quake moved the coastline eight feet and realigned the planet's axis. Worse that the ensuing jet-speed tsunami destroyed entire regions miles and miles inland. Now the country is dealing with a potential nuclear accident as it continues to count the dead and figure out a way back to normalcy. Or something like it.

I know adversity tends to breed the best in some - and Japan's achievements have positioned it well to drive its eventual recovery. But watching my kids enjoy an average Saturday with friends today, I couldn't help but wonder why fate doesn't always smile on others as it smiled on them on this day. I'm not complaining, of course. Just wondering why life sometimes seems so unfair.

I took this picture years back as a way of reminding myself to take the time to step away from the big, bad world and enjoy some solitary peace every once in a while. As I looked at it again earlier today, it also reminded me that life returns after the bleakest winter, even if we can't really see it right now.

Your turn: Japan. Thoughts?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free