A tale of two cities


Places
Toronto, ON, March 2009
About this photo: Thought I'd close out the "doubles" theme with a quick peek at Toronto's Union Station. Head here if you'd still like to share your own. New theme, late, goes live Monday morning.
I was far from home in the city's main railway station when a carving high up on an ornately detailed wall caught my eye. I immediately thought of how transportation hubs no longer feature this kind of thing, that they're more likely to be built of aluminum and glass, and any signage is delivered on a plasma screen.

There wasn't any functional purpose to these timeless letters way above my head. But they made me think of home - and the connections this place fosters - far more effectively than any plasma screen ever could. It's the kind of sense of place that folks really understood once upon a time, but seem to have forgotten more recently.

Your turn: What connects you with home when you're far away?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free