Thematic Photographic 137 - Late


Oasis of light
New York, NY, November 2009

I'm a little late getting the new theme posted. Okay, a lot late. In light of, well, life, our little weekly photographic diversion took a bit of a back seat. On reflection, however, I realize what we all need right about now is precisely that, a diversion.

That's because as I write this, the precarious situation in Japan is rapidly worsening. Fears of nuclear meltdown - or worse, meltdowns - are growing, and it's hard to see the light at the end of this ever-longer, twisted tunnel. It seems somewhat frivolous to be playing with pictures when an uncontrolled catastrophe grips folks just like us half a world away.

So please forgive me if I write with a bit of ambivalence tonight. I'll keep shooting and writing and sharing. And I hope you will, too. But it'll be with a sense of sadness because the world doesn't always play fair. And explaining the why of it all to our kids is proving to be harder than I thought.

Your turn: You know what to do. If not, please click here. And if you'd like to share a thought about Japan, or about life in general, please feel free to do so in a comment.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free