Another brick in the wall


Stoic witness
London, ON, October 2010
[Click here to share your own yellow-themed vision]


I've always been quite the contrarian. When everyone's looking inward, I'm staring outward. When the gang's gathered together, I'm wandering around the periphery. It's not that I'm not interested in what everyone else is interested in; I'm not that antisocial. But I am more intent on finding the story not told, because I just don't see the point in rehashing the same old. Conventionality never was my thing.

And so while we were having a quiet meal at a local restaurant to celebrate the end of our daughter's Bat Mitzvah weekend (see here and here for more), I found myself staring at the surrounding brick walls. So many families both just like and nothing like ours had gathered in this very spot. I wondered if the folks who sat here on those earlier, unseen nights had felt as comfortable in their place in the universe as we did at that moment. I wondered what these walls would say if they could speak. I wondered about the unknown people who long ago built this wall, then moved on. I simply wondered.

It was a good moment, so I thought sharing this picture would extend that moment out to all of you as well.

Your turn: How do you know when all is right with the world? What does it feel or look like?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free