Snow's coming


Reflectively retro
Stratford, ON, January 2010
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click here to share your "turning colder" vision]

I felt it when I left the house before first light this morning, a snap in the air that confirmed, once and for all, that I won't be wearing my shorts and sandals again for a while. I'm not complaining, though. It felt good. I was barely awake, and not entirely happy to be starting my day before the rest of my body felt it was ready. So a little fresh air on my face was a good thing, a gentle reminder from Mother Earth that I needed to pay more attention to the cold feeling on my skin, the sound of the breeze through the trees, even the smell of the fallen leaves.

It reminded me of this day last January, when I stood in a snowy parking lot and prepared to take my car home from Stratford, a city about 45 minutes away from here. The weather was closing in and the last thing I needed was to be in the middle of the hinterlands in a snow squall. But I wanted to remember what it was like to be in the middle of snowy perfection, so I shot quickly before jumping in and heading home.

I need to get out more. The cold does me good.

Your turn: Can the cold be good for our mood? How?
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free