Savour the vino


Oenophile's delight
London, ON, October 2010
About this photo: It's Thematic Photographic's savour week, so we're asking folks (including you) to share similarly-themed photos. How do you get started? Just go here.
Despite the fact that my name literally means "my vineyard" (it's a long story; click here for more on the name thing) I don't have much knowledge of wines. Part of it is my natural ability to get seriously looped on a shockingly small amount of alcohol. So when I'm out and about, I just don't drink because I never want to be caught on the wrong end of the driving/blood alcohol level/cop's-flashlight-in-your-face curve. I've seen first-hand what happens when folks think "they're OK" to drive, and it's horrific.

So I don't drink much. Which usually means I'm the designated driver. Bummer, I know. On the upside, while everyone else is busy getting hammered - or, given our era of apparent restraint, pleasantly pickled - I can wander the room with my camera, confident that I won't accidentally drop the thing in the punch bowl as I stumble for anything resembling porcelain.

And sometimes, I happen upon a little micro-scene like this. Which on this evening, reminded me of moments savoured with family and friends. There's something about the shape of a wine glass that speaks of warmth and community.

Your turn: The appeal of a glass of wine. Please discuss.
Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free