Of Chilean miners and life in general

I'm on my way home from far away, thumb typing this in an EOA parking lot waiting for the rain to die down a little before I finish the drive. But I've been noodling this thought in my head and didn't want to lose it:


As the rescue of the Chilean miners nears what appears to be an absolutely perfect conclusion, I find myself thinking that this can't just be about 33 guys stuck underground for a couple of months. The rescue, the global resources required to collaboratively plan and execute it, and the worldwide attention now focused on a very deep hole in the ground all seem to beg for a greater meaning.

I believe in the concept of Tikkun Olam - Hebrew for "fix the world" - and we teach this to our children. I can't help but think that the lesson for us all in the return of these men to the rest of the planet lies in us figuring out how to use their inspiration to fix our own corner of the world.

Your turn: Thoughts?

Ping your blog, website, or RSS feed for Free